The Jefferson Library expansion adds 6000 SF to the original historic Spanish-style library built in 1921, and includes a community meeting hall, homework room, children's story room, expanded reading rooms, new stacks, and staff support areas.
Part of the pre-design process included community workshops at the library to make planning recommendations to the design team. The resulting design follows the direction set at the workshops and preserves the building's character-defining features. Set back from the existing south facade, the new addition is clearly distinguishable from the original structure. The new entry and circulation spine run along the east side of the existing library, exposing portions of the original masonry walls. The existing patio is restored, bringing light into the library and providing a secure outside reading room.
|Client:||City of Los Angeles|